Why there are 2 focal lengths in EXIF output

Started by SK, December 21, 2016, 08:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SK

Hi, I used the exifTool to spit out all the meta data from my .CR2 file. I see 2 focal lengths:

FocalLength => 100.0 mm
FocalLength (1) => 100 mm

What is the difference?

Phil Harvey

Things like focal length are stored in many places in Canon files.  I don't know the difference, but you can add the -G1 option to see where they are coming from.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Hayo Baan

Likely one is in the makernotes while the other is in the exif data.
Hayo Baan – Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

SK

Hi All, thank you.

Phil, as per your suggestion used the -G flag and I see the following groups of data:

1. [File]
2. [EXIF]
3. [MakerNotes]
4. [Composite]

I am familiar with EXIF and MakerNotes (camera specific) but what are groups [FILE] & [COMPOSITE]?.

Again my assumption is the the EXIF tags will not change in the future (I understand more might be added to the standard) -- is my assumption correct? Can I create table based on existing EXIF tags and can be assured these tags will always be the SAME? or best is to use XML - free format. This is in case I scan all my photo's and create a photo data.

If I want to create a copyright & keyword tags... where should it be logically placed?

Thanks much. Learning a lot!

Phil Harvey

Quote from: SK on December 22, 2016, 10:56:33 AM
I am familiar with EXIF and MakerNotes (camera specific) but what are groups [FILE] & [COMPOSITE]?.

The File family 1 group is both system information and basic information found in the specific file type.  Use -G1 to distinguish between these.

Composite tags are derived from the values of other tags.

QuoteAgain my assumption is the the EXIF tags will not change in the future (I understand more might be added to the standard) -- is my assumption correct?

This is true for standard EXIF tags, but ExifTool also deals with non-standard ones.

QuoteCan I create table based on existing EXIF tags and can be assured these tags will always be the SAME?

No.  ExifTool doesn't differentiate between standard and non-standard EXIF tags.

QuoteIf I want to create a copyright & keyword tags... where should it be logically placed?

I would recommend XMP for this.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

SK

Hi Phil, thank you. Can i WRITE XMP data on a raw file using ExifTool? I am familiar with Perl. Any examples or URL where I can look at code snippet? My assumption is XMP is considered metadata.

Phil Harvey

Yes you can write XMP to CR2 files.  You don't need to know Perl.  The command-line syntax is like this:

exiftool -subject="keyword1" -subject="keyword2" -rights="Copyright 2016 Your Name" FILEorDIR

There are lots of other examples in this section of the application documentation.

But if you want to do this from your own Perl script using the ExifTool API, look here for documentation and examples.

- Phil

SK

How do i write a tag based on XMP namespace for example, I want specifically to write XMP tag description....is it something like this?

exiftool -xmp:Description="something" filename

StarGeek

* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).