Software to honour [MakerNotes:Canon] AutoRotate

Started by spockk, December 23, 2016, 03:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spockk

Hello,
I have a lot of Canon DIGITAL IXUS 40 pics with MakerNotes field 'AutoRotate' properly set with IFD0.Orientation set to 'Horizontal (normal)' everywhere, i.e.:

[EXIF:IFD0]     Orientation                     : Horizontal (normal)
[MakerNotes:Canon] AutoRotate                   : Rotate 90 CW

Is there any software which honour that Canon's proprietary flag or it's hopeless idea and it would be better to rewrite IFD0.Orientation according to [MakerNotes:Canon] AutoRotate?

StarGeek

IMO, it would just be better to rewrite the Orientation tag, as that would be compatible with the most software.  Otherwise, you'd just be limiting your software option and that's if you could find some software that would read Autorotate and give it priority over orientation.

I'd also suggest writing to EXIF:Orientation or just Orientation rather than IDF0:Orientation just in case that tag appears in a different EXIF spot.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Phil Harvey

with this command:

exiftool "-orientation<autorotate" DIR

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

spockk