News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Batch Copy Exif Data From One Field To another

Started by johnjbloomfield, February 16, 2017, 12:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnjbloomfield

Is it possible to use this tool to copy data from one field to a new field?

Specifically from Lens Id to lens model as my software (ACDsee) only reads Lens Model but my camera (Pentax) only records lens under Lens ID.

Phil Harvey

Sure.  The application documentation has many copying tags examples.  In your case the command could look like this:

exiftool "-lensmodel<lensid" DIR

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

johnjbloomfield

Would I need it to run as a command line tool for this?

Phil Harvey

I think you may be able to do this through the GUI, but I don't know how.  The command I gave is for the command line.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

johnjbloomfield

Hi Phil

This has been working great for me but I have just noticed that a duplicate file without file type but with _original is created.

I have only just realised this as my photo management software ignores these files. - Is there anyway to avoid them being created as they take up quite a lot of space obviously I am manually deleting them now.

Phil Harvey

By default exiftool backs up the original file by adding "_original" to the file name.

To avoid this, add -overwrite_original to the command.

To delete "_original" files that have already been created, do this:

exiftool -r -delete_original DIR

The -r recursively processes all subdirectories.

- Phil

johnjbloomfield

Thanks Phil

Much Appreciated.

Do you have a donate page or something for this program - I feel I should make some sort of payment for something this useful and so well supported via this forum.

johnjbloomfield

found the donate page - donation made not a lot just a thank you really.

Phil Harvey

I got the donation, thanks!

Glad to help.

- Phil