News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

QUICKTIME Metadata - Add/Edit - Reel Name

Started by SteveX86, March 27, 2017, 01:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveX86

Hey guys so I stumbled on to this and hope someone here can help me.

I have Quick Times that I need to be able to "dig" into and change some of the metadata.

First thing is that when I run EXIFTOOL on these .mov files it does not show me the info metadata of the Tape/Reel Name I am not sure what the TAG is for this but I know it is "baked" into the .MOV some where because it comes up in software we use to track and relink media on a ton of Editing Systems.

Example:
134_1.mov - File Name
A056R0E1 - Embedded Tape/Reel Name

I have attached a Screen Shot of how the QT EMB Tape/Reel metadata is displayed in Davinci Resolve.

Hope someone can help.

Phil Harvey

There may be metadata embedded in the video stream of MOV files.  Currently ExifTool does not extract this.  But it should extract most everything else if you add the -u option.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

SteveX86

Nothing ??? Hey Phil can maybe send you a private link to download and see if you have any luck with what I am trying to get to??

Phil Harvey

Sure.  You can email me (philharvey66 at gmail.com).  I'm out of town this week on business but I'll try to get a chance to look at it.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

SteveX86

Thanks Phil I just sent you a private message through this FORUM, thanks a TON !!!

Phil Harvey

The reel name is stored in a tag that ExifTool calls "Unknown_name" when you use the -u option.  Unfortunately there is a binary header in front of the ASCII name, so it is extracted as a binary.  You can see the ASCII in the exiftool -v output.

However, I have prepared a config file (attached) that removes the binary header and allows you to extract the reel name with this command:

exiftool -config ReelName.config -reelname FILE

- Phil

SteveX86

I am sorry I just found EXIFTOOLS and I am new user, how do I run this config you made on my MAC?

Hayo Baan

Phil already gave you the basic command, but that assumed the config file to be in the same directory as where you executed the exiftool command. Assuming you downloaded the config file Phil created and have it stored in your downloads folder, the following should work independently of the directory you're in:
exiftool -config ~/Downloads/ReelName.config -reelname FILE
Replace FILE with the name of the file you want to process.
Hayo Baan – Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Phil Harvey

(these commands are typed in a Terminal window.  So first install the Mac version of ExifTool, then open the Terminal app from /Applications/Utilities and type the commands there)

SteveX86

I am in a TERMINAL window I know my way around inside of SHELL.

Directory contains the Source QT and ReelName.config file.......
134_1.mov - Reel/Tape name A056R0E1

I have tried:
exiftool - config -reelname 1111111AA

"CONFIG FILE NOT FOUND
FILE NOT FOUND 1111111AA

This is what I need
134_1.mov - Reel/Tape name 1111111AA

Once again sorry about me being new to EXIFTOOLS!

StarGeek

Quote from: SteveX86 on March 27, 2017, 05:30:15 PM
I have tried:
exiftool - config -reelname 1111111AA

"CONFIG FILE NOT FOUND
FILE NOT FOUND 1111111AA

No space between the dash and the word config.  Then you need the path to the config file after that.

* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

SteveX86

FAIL ????

[finish4:TEMP/TRAILER_TEST_TAPE/DAILIES] finish4% exiftool -config -reelname 1111111AA /Volumes/archive/DATA_IO/TEMP/TRAILER_TEST_TAPE/DAILIES/ReelName.config
Config file not found
File not found: 1111111AA
======== /Volumes/archive/DATA_IO/TEMP/TRAILER_TEST_TAPE/DAILIES/ReelName.config
ExifTool Version Number         : 10.47
File Name                       : ReelName.config
Directory                       : /Volumes/archive/DATA_IO/TEMP/TRAILER_TEST_TAPE/DAILIES
File Size                       : 199 bytes
File Modification Date/Time     : 2017:03:27 13:44:40-07:00
File Access Date/Time           : 2017:03:27 14:54:11-07:00
File Inode Change Date/Time     : 2017:03:27 14:53:08-07:00
File Permissions                : rwxrwxrwx
Error                           : Unknown file type
    1 image files read
    1 files could not be read

SteveX86

I think I am getting close now, HAHA so NOOB !! :'(
So below is what I get how do I edit the REEL NAME in TERMINAL?

[finish4:TEMP/TRAILER_TEST_TAPE/DAILIES] finish4% exiftool -config /Volumes/archive/DATA_IO/TEMP/TRAILER_TEST_TAPE/DAILIES/ReelName.config -reelname 134_1.mov A1111111
======== 134_1.mov
Reel Name                       : A056R0E1
File not found: A1111111
    1 image files read
    1 files could not be read
[finish4:TEMP/TRAILER_TEST_TAPE/DAILIES] finish4% exiftool -config /Volumes/archive/DATA_IO/TEMP/TRAILER_TEST_TAPE/DAILIES/ReelName.config -reelname 134_1.mov
Reel Name                       : A056R0E1
[finish4:TEMP/TRAILER_TEST_TAPE/DAILIES] finish4%

Phil Harvey

I'm glad you figured it out.

But I just noticed the title you gave this post -- you want to add/edit the ReelName.  I'm afraid you will be disappointed because the config file I posted only allows you to extract this information.  You won't be able to add/edit this using ExifTool. :(

- Phil

SteveX86

Hopefully someone knows how to do this on here, I feel like I am in the right place here to get this fixed.