GPS data in Garmin MP4 files from VIRB camera

Started by emsusa, April 19, 2017, 04:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emsusa

I am looking for a way to "play" embedded GPS time out a port when playing a MP4 captured by a Garmin VIRB cam with internal GPS (or possibly GoPro if that is easier).  I am pretty sure GPS data, or at least time is in the metadata, but did not see it in the list of fields using your latest release. 

Phil Harvey

This request keeps coming up more frequently so I should really get working on it.  ExifTool currently doesn't extract time-varying GPS from MOV/MP4 videos.  I don't know of any software that will do this.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

emsusa

If you are inclined, we have an application to test it.  We are looking to sync the video with a sensor log file.  It may be useful to discuss over email or phone call.

Phil Harvey

ExifTool 10.72 (just released) has the ability to extract GPS from MP4 videos using the -ee option.  Please send me a sample if it doesn't extract it for your camera (philharvey66 at gmail.com).

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).