Converting to JFIF compliant image?

Started by mikrol, May 22, 2017, 04:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikrol

I have a portable printer device that will only read JFIF compliant images. If I copy a photo straight from a camera, it works great but if there's any editing done (photoshop, lightroom), even if it's converting from RAW to JPEG, it becomes incompatible.

I've tried just about everything, including this which was recommended in a post years ago:
exiftool -jfif:xresolution=72 -jfif:yresolution=72 image.jpg

But to no luck.

Image is 1500 px wide, 1000 px tall, if it helps, and I believe the thumbnail also needs to be JFIF compliant.

I'm new to EXIFTOOL, so as basic of advice as possible is preferred!

StarGeek

What's the name of the printer device?  Maybe we can find some more info.

Otherwise, I'd say compare the output of two files with exiftool -g1 -a -s.  Figure out the difference between the outputs and try changing the data to match.  Try converting with a program other than PS and LR.  For example, if on Windows, try Irfanview.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

mikrol

Thanks for the reply!

I'll give that a shot.

It's a new device so there really isn't much information out there. It's the Instax SQ10 digital/hybrid camera.

If it helps, I can upload a photo that works (jpeg from camera) and one that doesn't (one converted to jpeg or edited in PS/LR), otherwise any other help is greatly appreciated!

mikrol

Here's a link with some more information, if it helps:

https://ivanjoshualoh.com/2017/05/19/hip-to-be-square-sq10/

StarGeek

Quote from: mikrol on May 22, 2017, 06:04:25 PMIt's a new device so there really isn't much information out there. It's the Instax SQ10 digital/hybrid camera.

Polaroid with options.  Nifty.

QuoteIf it helps, I can upload a photo that works (jpeg from camera) and one that doesn't (one converted to jpeg or edited in PS/LR), otherwise any other help is greatly appreciated!
Yeah, I'd be interested in that.  I couldn't be of much help otherwise. 

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

mikrol

Hey again!

Here are 2 examples:

http://imgur.com/a/AU7cz

They should be labeled (Working Image, Non-working image)

They were shot as "Raw + JPEG". The "Working" shot is the JPEG straight out of camera. The "Non-working" shot is the Raw file converted to JPEG (same dimensions).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

StarGeek

Imgur strips all metadata from any file uploaded to it.

If the files are too big to attach here (see Attachments and other options below the text box when posting), then something like Dropbox or Google drive is best.  I can't recall off hand, but I think flickr doesn't alter metadata either.

mikrol

Ah ok -- I tried downloading them before replying and it seemed to have the metadata still, but that might be because it was my own image being downloaded.

I may have fixed my problem though. Opening it in MSPaint and re-saving it seems to work.. Not sure what this is doing, but it takes care of the issue for now :)

StarGeek

Quote from: mikrol on May 23, 2017, 06:23:06 AM
Ah ok -- I tried downloading them before replying and it seemed to have the metadata still, but that might be because it was my own image being downloaded.

After downloading, does the non-working one still not work?

I should be more clear.  Imgur strips all metadata that might be used to identify you.  XMP, IPTC, and EXIF data.  It leaves in ICC profiles, JFIF and Adobe APP14 block, as removing some of those can alter the colors.  If the non-working one still doesn't work after downloading, you might try removing the Adobe block and ICC_Profile.

QuoteI may have fixed my problem though. Opening it in MSPaint and re-saving it seems to work.. Not sure what this is doing, but it takes care of the issue for now :)

It is re-compressing the file. If you do that multiple times, it quickly degrade the quality of the image.

I would suggest first trying this:
exiftool -icc_profile:all= -adobe:all= FileOrDir
and see if that makes the image printable.  If that doesn't work, grab Irfanview and the Irfanview plugins.  Then load up an image, select Option -> Jpeg Lossless Rotate.  Set it for "Perfect Transformation" and play with the "Write JFIF" and Keep/Clean APP marker options and see what might work. 

In the long run, this will be less destructive to your pictures.

mikrol

Perfect -- I'll try that out today. I would prefer a system like that rather than opening and re-saving each one in Paint.

I'm not too concerned about the quality loss; since these are 2-3" polaroid photos, I'm not terribly concerned about a loss of quality (if I were using it for larger prints or online viewing, it would be a totally different story).

I'll try out that EXIFTOOL command first to see if that works. I did download Irfanview yesterday but wasn't sure where the JFIF option was, so I'll try that out also!