Metadata and images that extracted from video

Started by Marko, July 12, 2017, 01:25:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marko

Greetings people,

I wonder if ExifTool has a feature of extracting image frame from a video?
and at the same time, extract GPS metadata (longitude, latitude, etc) for each image. Is that possible?
(video is recorded by drone Phantom 4. I do know using VLC Media player to extract but no GPS metadata for the extracted image.)

It seems that GPS metadata from the video file is fixed at one point, and does not change as the video plays.

Thank you.

StarGeek

Sorry, exiftool can't extract a frame from a video.  You might want to try FFMpeg for that.  It also can't extract metadata from inside the video stream.  I'm not sure what can as google searches on the subject don't turn up much.  It looks like there used to be a program to do it (Registrator Viewer) but Firefox blocked and popped up a warning on the one link I found and the website itself is empty.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Marko

Quote from: StarGeek on July 12, 2017, 01:59:18 AM
It looks like there used to be a program to do it (Registrator Viewer)...

Found the software here https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/where-has-registration-viewer-gone.16993/
It seems designed to works with dash camera with GPS enabled.

It can extract image from the drone video (MOV file) but still cannot read GPS data.
Anyway I decided to take photo instead. (for 3D model creation)

Thanks for the help!  :D

Phil Harvey

ExifTool 10.72 (just released) has the ability to extract GPS from MOV/MP4 videos using the -ee option.  Please send me a sample if it doesn't extract it for your camera (philharvey66 at gmail.com).

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).