News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

insert comments in IPTC of multiple files?

Started by guthrie, July 26, 2017, 12:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guthrie

Well, that is the goal - to select a group of files, and insert a comment or description field.
I see in the workspace, one can edit known (current) fields, but how to insert new ones, e.g. Title, headline, keywords, description.

Phil Harvey

The procedure for adding new tags is the same as for editing existing ones.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

guthrie

Thanks; I am new to the tool - for editing an existing tag one selects the tag, and then in the entry form gives a new value.
How odes one create a new tag, some syntax for a definition in the entry box?

StarGeek

Quote from: guthrie on July 26, 2017, 03:33:07 PM
How odes one create a new tag, some syntax for a definition in the entry box?

I don't use the gui, but I took a look to try and figure it out.  To create a new tag, it looks like you would have to use the "Exiftool direct" button, which basically means you have to have some knowledge about how to run exiftool in the first place.  If it's a group of tags you would plan on using over and over, then creating a Workspace would be the best option.

There is a fairly complete Workspace already included with the gui.  Go to the Program Menu -> Workspace definition file -> Load.  Then navigate to the Workspace directory in the ExiftoolGui directory and load "WorkspaceRef.ini".  That has a lot of the basic tags.

If you want something even simpler, I created a Metadata Working Group Workspace based upon the MWG tags.  It is attached to this post and you can load it up the same way. 

Unfortunately, ExiftoolGui is being very uncooperative at the moment so I haven't tested it too much.  I'll try and do so later and update if need be, but I don't believe it should need any changes.

* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).