Questions to *.args files

Started by herb, August 05, 2017, 06:12:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

herb

Hello Phil,

I continued my tests with Exiftool 10.60 argument files and have some questions:
(1)
Could it be possible that in file exif2iptc.args the line -Photoshop:IPTCDigest=new is missing?
(2)
I worked also with file exif2xmp.args and have seen that e.g. the tags "BitsPerSample, "ImageHeight", "ImageWidth" and "YCbCrSubSampling" are not copied.
"BitsPerSample" might not be copied because this Exif tag is marked as unsafe.
But why are the others not copied?
Should they be copied at all?

Thanks for your comments in advance.
Best regards
Herb

Phil Harvey

Hi Herb,

Quote from: herb on August 05, 2017, 06:12:34 AM
Could it be possible that in file exif2iptc.args the line -Photoshop:IPTCDigest=new is missing?

I don't think so.  The digest should only be updated when the IPTC and XMP have been properly syncrhonized, which is not done by this argfile.

QuoteI worked also with file exif2xmp.args and have seen that e.g. the tags "BitsPerSample, "ImageHeight", "ImageWidth" and "YCbCrSubSampling" are not copied.
"BitsPerSample" might not be copied because this Exif tag is marked as unsafe.

No.  Tags are not written if they are marked as unsafe, but XMP:BitsPerSample is not unsafe.

Instead, I think you will find that the source tags you mention are not EXIF.  Try exiftool -a -G to see where they are.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

herb

Hello Phil,

thanks for your quick reply.

ad (1): Thanks for the private lession. This was new to me.
ad (2): As the 4 mentioned tags are also listed as EXIF-tag (on your internet-page, I was sure that they are really EXIF tags.
But you are right, in my case they belong to "File" group.
Sorry for making so much noise.

Thanks for your help again.
Best regards
Herb