Incorrect LensID to Name mapping

Started by zimu, August 17, 2017, 09:13:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zimu

Hi, looks like there a conflicting lens mapping for LensID 253:

"EXIF:LensInfo"=>"70-300mm f/4-5.6", "EXIF:LensModel"=>"70.0-300.0 mm f/4.0-5.6", "XMP:Lens"=>"70.0-300.0 mm f/4.0-5.6", "XMP:LensID"=>253, ...
"Composite:LensID"=>"Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX APO DC HSM II + 1.4x"

The actual lens is Tamaron 70-300mm f/4-5.6

Please let me know if you need a sample file.

Phil Harvey

It is difficult to properly identify Nikon lenses after Photoshop has destroyed the metadata.

What does exiftool show for LensID on an original (non-Photoshopped) image with this lens?

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

zimu

Sorry, I don't own the pre-photoshop file, as it's a photo uploaded by our users in 500px.com.  I could try to reach out to the user and ask for it.

Could you elaborate a bit more about "It is difficult to properly identify Nikon lenses after Photoshop has destroyed the metadata"?  Does that mean we should not trust "Composite:LensID" after photoshop, and should relay on either "EXIF:LensModel" or "XMP:Lens".  Also curious if Adobe Lightroom will have negative impact on metadata too?

Thanks!

Phil Harvey

Photoshop wipes out all maker note information, and saves only the lens ID, but ExifTool uses many other tags to uniquely identify a Nikon lens.  However, there is currently only 1 lens defined for ID 253,  so I should add support for this Tamron lens, but to do this I need the output of LensID from an original image.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).