Extracting data about image files and creating output file

Started by gcotterl, September 23, 2017, 01:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gcotterl

I want to use EXIFTOOL to extract the datetimeoriginal for all jpg, jpeg and png files in the parent directory and its subfolders and create an output file in the parent directory.

In DOS, I'm in the parent directory C:\Users\Gary\every photo

and I'm running:

exiftool -r *.jpg *.jpeg *.png -datetimeoriginal > newjpg.txt

But the newjpg.txt file is empty.

What do I have wrong?

StarGeek

See -r docs and Common Mistake 2.

Wildcards don't work with -r.  Use -ext instead and either a dot . for the current directory or a more complete directory path "C:\Users\Gary\every photo" (quotes are needed due to the space in the path).

exiftool -r -ext jpg -ext jpeg -ext png -datetimeoriginal  . > newjpg.txt
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

gcotterl

In the COMMAND PROMPT screen, I using:

exiftool -csv -T -r -ext jpg -ext jpeg -ext png -filepath -datetimeoriginal -DateTaken -FileModifyDate -FileAccessDate -FileCreateDate -ModifyDate -CreateDate -make -model -filesize -imagesize -megapixels . > newjpg.txt

At the beginning of the output, why are "./ and ./ appearing before folder name?

For example:

"./CHRISTMAS                                 
"./HAYDEN, MARYANN, STEVE & JENN             
"./ITALY - VENICE                             
./ARCHES NATIONAL PARK                       
./AZTEC NATIONAL MONUMENT                     
./BIKE                                       

Hayo Baan

The quote because of the spaces in the directory name, the dot to indicate the current directory :)
Hayo Baan – Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

gcotterl

StarGeek

See the docs on the -csv option. The first column should contain the path+filename based upon the directory given.  This is the SourceFile column and contains the path plus the filename. It is included for when you want to use the CSV file to import metadata back into the files.

The second column should contain the filepath data you are looking for.

CHRISTMAS may not contain a space, but there probably is one in the rest of that entry.

If you don't want the Sourcefile column, you can either edit it out yourself by importing into OpenOffice or using CSVKit (requires python).  Or you can roll your own CSV using the the -p option.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

gcotterl

StarGeek

Can you list first few rows here so we can see what might be causing this?