Error when saving changed tag values

Started by JohnLocke, October 25, 2017, 09:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnLocke

ExifToolGui 5.16.00 (also tried with admin and in win7 compatibility mode)
ExifTool 10.64 (renamed in exiftool.exe)
and jhead jpegtran all in same directory

Starting ExifToolGui isn't a problem. But saving after changing a metadata value, i'm retrieving this error message:
"ERROR: ExifTool not found! Metadata operations disabled."

Any ideas what to do?

Phil Harvey

Here is a post with a possible solution:

https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php/topic,7311.msg38146.html#msg38146

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

JohnLocke

Hi Phil,

thank you, but i've seen this post before. That's why i worked with the compatibility mode and checked the "Run this program as an administrator" option. But it's still not working. Any hint i haven't seen yet?

Phil Harvey

You might also try putting exiftool.exe in the C:\WINDOWS directory.  And adding an exception for any antivirus software you may be running.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

JohnLocke

I put exiftool.exe (but only this file) in C:\Windows and both, this file and also the directory of all exiftoolgui files i put in exception list of antivirus. But it's still not working.

Phil Harvey

Wow, OK.  I've run out of ideas.

Does it run OK from the command line?

- Phil

JohnLocke

I could start it normally, yes, but i don't know what to do, to set the new values I want to change...

The file is
d:\Users\schreibthomas\Pictures\Camera Roll\Oesi beim Subbelrather Kebap\0001 Oesi beim Subbelrather Kebap ().mp4
The metadata fields are CreateDate and DateTimeOriginal. The value for both is 2005:08:15 18:30:00

As in https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php/topic,8256.0.html described, i copied exiftool.exe and exiftool(-k).exe also to C:\windows\system 32. Additionally i copied exiftool(-k).exe to exiftool.exe in C:\Windows.
Starting "exiftool -filepermissions "c:\windows\exiftool.exe"" in cmd, I'm recieving "File Permissions: rw-rw-rw-" as result.
And at least i deleted all files in "c:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp\par-...".
In temp there was also folders of other exiftool versions, maybe because I'm using other tools that use it. That's way i additionally changed the exiftool.exe in this tools with this one we are using at the moment.
But nothing didn't change :'(