Save XMP information to MOV/MP4 files

Started by thimplicity, November 30, 2017, 11:23:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thimplicity

Hello everyone,
I have finished my efforts with our photos (see https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php/topic,8703.0.html). That worked out great.

Next steps are now our videos. I would like to continue with the steps mentioned in the other thread:
1. Add geolocation data with Geosetter
2. Execute tagging based on folders and dates

So there are two questions:
1. As Geosetter writes separate XMP files, is there a way to pick that up the information in that file with ExifTool and save it to the MOV/MP$ files? OneDrive recognises the tags in the videos as well.
2. Do I need to adjust the commands below for the tagging to write the video files:

Year and Month (as word) into tags from original date

exiftool -d "%Y##%B" -Sep "##" "-keywords+<DateTimeOriginal" "C:\Temp\PicturesNEW\STRUCTURE\Test event\test year\test sub event" -overwrite_original -r

Add three levels of parent folders to file

exiftool -sep "##" "-Keywords+<${directory;s/.*\/([^\/]+?)\/([^\/]+?)\/([^\/]+?$)/$1##$2##$3/}" "C:\Temp\PicturesNEW\STRUCTURE\Test event\2012\test sub event" -overwrite_original -r

Thanks again for your help!

Phil Harvey

ExifTool can write XMP to MOV/MP4 videos.  Your commands should be changed to write XMP Subject instead of Keywords (XMP-dc:Subject is the recommended place to store keywords in XMP, and ExifTool writes this if you just specify "Subject").

And to copy XMP from sidecar files:

exiftool -tagsfromfile %d%f.xmp -xmp:all -ext mov -ext mp4 DIR

But note XMP in videos is not well supported by other applications (except maybe Adobe apps).

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

I just tested out two videos (a Mov and an MP4) on OneDrive with a lot of metadata filled out with exiftool and OneDrive only read one item  It filled "Modified" with the FileModifyDate.  There was also a "Date Created" timestamp but that was just the time I uploaded the file.  One of the files did have GPS data set (GPSCoordinates tag) but OneDrive didn't read it.

I tried another MP4 that had some Quicktime and Microsoft tags filled out and the only item that OneDrive read was Microsoft:Category, which it listed as Tags.

Basically, OneDrive doesn't read almost all the metadata you might put into a video file. 
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

thimplicity

Thanks for the replies. I added some tags with the Windows 10 Explorer and they all showed up under the Tags when I uploaded them to OneDrive.

StarGeek

Yep.  "Tags" are saved to Microsoft:Category when you check with exiftool.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

thimplicity

Understood - Will Phil's  command add the Xmp information to that area or do I need to adjust it?

StarGeek

Exiftool can't write to that tag.  When I was trying to look up info on the Microsoft video tags, Windows was the only thing I found that would write to the "Tags" property and mp3tag was the only program that I found that could write to some of the other Microsoft video tags.

The only thing that exiftool can write that will show up on OneDrive for video files is the FileModifyDate.

thimplicity

So there does not seem to be a solution :(. Is there any other way to write these tags?

Any ExifTool command I can use to rename based on the ISO formatted filename?

StarGeek

Quote from: thimplicity on December 01, 2017, 04:21:42 PM
Is there any other way to write these tags?

I didn't look too hard at gui options, so maybe you can find something along those lines

For other tags, FFmpeg can write some metadata, but it has a steep learning curve.

QuoteAny ExifTool command I can use to rename based on the ISO formatted filename?

I don't understand the question.  An example of what you want to do would help.