Exiftool returns "Warning"

Started by AL10, March 18, 2018, 07:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AL10

I've recently ran the exiftool on an image from a camera model I've never worked with before and the exiftool returned the following:

Warning                         : [minor] Possibly incorrect maker notes offsets (fix by 4124?)
Warning                         : [minor] Suspicious MakerNotes offset for Sony_0x9401

Can anyone confirm what this means?

Phil Harvey

...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

AL10

Thanks Phil. I'm a bit confused because when I look at what came up with exiftool I see:

File Source                     : Digital Camera
Scene Type                      : Directly photographed

This, along with a few other hints in the metadata tells me that the files are right from the camera, yet the link you sent me says that incorrect makernote warnings come up when an image is rewritten by software. I'm trying to figure out if this file truly came right from the camera, but it seems like getting the makernote warning tells me that it was saved in a software which is why these warnings came up. So its safe to assume this was saved over? Or does the makernote not necessarily mean that?

I've attached what the exiftool returned to this message.

Alan Clifford

There are these two lines in that file:

Processing Software             : Windows Photo Editor 10.0.10011.16384
Software                        : Windows Photo Editor 10.0.10011.16384

AL10

How did you find out these were the lines? 

More importantly, regarding my last question: "It seems like getting the makernote warning tells me that it was saved in a software package which is why these warnings came up. So its safe to assume this file was saved over? Or does the makernote not necessarily mean that?

Phil Harvey

Most of the time a makernote error like this means that the file was rewritten, but not always.  Things like the Software tag being updated or the addition of tags like Padding or OffsetSchema are more positive indications.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Alan Clifford

Quote from: AL10 on March 19, 2018, 05:51:59 PM

How did you find out these were the lines? 

More importantly, regarding my last question: "It seems like getting the makernote warning tells me that it was saved in a software package which is why these warnings came up. So its safe to assume this file was saved over? Or does the makernote not necessarily mean that?

I just looked in the file you sent.  I would conclude that Windows Photo Editor has been used.