News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Getting min and max temperature of a thermal image

Started by Olex11, March 19, 2018, 10:37:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olex11

Hi,

I have some thermal images in JPEG and I would like to find the minimal and the maximal values of temperature in the image.

Do you know if I can find these information in the metadata of the JPEG file ? If yes, how can I read them ?

Thanks in advance,

Alex

Phil Harvey

FLIR cameras write this information in their proprietary metadata, and this is decoded by ExifTool.

I don't know about any other thermal camera makes.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Olex11

I use images of a Flir Camera (I join an example).

I tried different command lines with Exiftool but I didn't find these information ... I only found information about the camera range values in general but not the range values in the image.

Phil Harvey

It looks like this model doesn't write the image max/min temperatures in the metadata.  It does write the temperature range though.  To get the max/min temperatures you could (with a lot of work) extract and process the RawThermalImage.  See this thread for a lengthy discussion on this topic.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Olex11

Ok, thank you for your help. I'll take a look to this discussion.