Batch processing Multiple Canon cr2 files to fix a problem with adobe imports

Started by Brian Holgate, March 29, 2018, 09:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Holgate

Hired a guy to do Time Lapses for me with my 5d mkiii. He decided to change the aspect ratio to 4:3 even though I told him to keep it at the native 3:2 AR. Now there are about 10,000 pictures with the incorrect crop data. Since these are RAW Time Lapses, there is a lot of files to correct. When you import the files in Lightroom it shows the info on the sides of the picture. Also if you open it outside of Adobe, you can see the whole image. However once you complete the import, the files are now cropped to the 4:3 aspect Ratio. Spoke with adobe and they are lost.

Does anyone know how if I can use this program to batch process all of these files? A word from a fellow time lapse guy in Germany instructed me to make the following changes:
    exiftool *.CR2 -AspectFrame="0 0 0 0" -DefaultCropOrigin="" -DefaultCropSize="" -CroppedImageWidth="5760" -CroppedImageHeight="3840"

Seeing as I've never even heard of exif data, I'm unsure how to batch process all of these images without breaking them. Any and all help is appreciated. I have attached a picture if anyone wants to give it a try. It's a dropbox link since it's to large to attach here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mjqvgv8ccytg0lw/_08A_1001_TEST.CR2?dl=0

Phil Harvey

This may be possible, but I don't have time to try it right now.  I'll see if I can make time later today.

- Phil

Edit:  I didn't find time yesterday, and I'm going away for the weekend now, so this will have to wait until I return.
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Phil Harvey

Try this command on the file:

exiftool -canonvrd:all= -aspectratio=3:2 -croppedimageleft=0 -croppedimagewidth=5760 FILE

I think the VRD stuff may be the problem, since you already tried setting the CroppedImage size, and I don't think the AspectRatio would do it.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).