extract GPS data from kdlinks X1 dashcam mov file

Started by zonedgopher, May 20, 2018, 04:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zonedgopher

Is there a way to extract the GPS location data & date/time data from a .mov file created by the kdlinks x1 dashcam?
Never mind.  I got it to work when I used the -ee switch correctly.
:-[

rp83

Hi,

I am looking to extract GPS, Date/Time, and Speed data from my kdlinks X1 dashcam mov file as well. It sounds like you were able to do this. Could you please post the command that you used? I can't seem to find any tags related to GPS in the .mov files I have.

Thanks,
Ryan

Phil Harvey

One command should be:

exiftool -ee "-gps*" FILE

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

rp83

Thanks, Phil! That worked great.

I am running into one issue though. In the cases where there are GPS entries for every second in the video clip, everything is fine. However, in some cases, there are fewer GPS entries than the number of seconds in the video and the time range of GPS entries do not cover the span of the entire video clip.

From looking through the metadata, I cannot tell which second of a video clip a GPS entry corresponds to. This mapping from GPS datetime stamp to corresponding elapsed time in the video clip must be somewhere though, because when I try watching the video using the kdlinks video player, it shows "--" (blank) for certain time ranges and GPS information for others, and the information they provide (gps_speed for example) lines up with what I am seeing in the video at that time.

Do you know how I can determine the mapping?

Thanks,
Ryan

Phil Harvey

Hi Ryan,

Are there SampleTime tags in the output?  If so, you can use these to determine the time each GPS sample was taken.

Try this:

exiftool -ee -g3 FILE

All tags for the same document number correspond to the indicated Sample Time (if it exists).

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).