Extract JPG from Capture One's EIP raw format?

Started by murphysm2342, July 26, 2018, 01:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

murphysm2342

Anyone know if it is possible to extract the jpg preview from an EIP file (Capture One's raw format)? 

Our workflow requires that we shoot in the EIP format but for testing purposes I unzipped the EIP (if you change the .eip extension to .zip the single file becomes a folder of files) and tried out the below code on the CR2 file that was within the .eip package:
exiftool -b -PreviewImage -w _preview.jpg -ext cr2 -r /Users/username/Downloads/TestExtractJPGFromRAW

If I look at the information on the EIP files in Exiftool they don't seem to contain a similar -PreviewImage tag of any sort.  The only thing I'm seeing in the info that might be useful is the -ZipFileName.  EIPs are technically just a zipped set of files of which contains the original Canon CR2 file (in my test file this is returned for all .EIP files: ZipFileName   :  0.CR2).  Perhaps I could get the ZipFileName and extract the JPG from that since it is a CR2?

Here is a test EIP file if anyone wants to help out:
https://commonuse.s3.amazonaws.com/External%20Send%20Files/Test_EIP.eip

Phil Harvey

Quote from: murphysm2342 on July 26, 2018, 01:35:50 PM
Anyone know if it is possible to extract the jpg preview from an EIP file (Capture One's raw format)?

Try this:

exiftool -preview:all FILE.eip

Some of my EIP's have a ThumbnailTIFF image, but some don't have any previews that may be extracted.

I can't download your sample right now.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

murphysm2342

Thanks Phil.  Just tried on a few of my EIP files and it is returning no results.

Phil Harvey

I just looked at your EIP sample.  It contains an embedded CR2 image which does contain a JPG preview.  The following command should work on Mac/Linux to extract this:

unzip -p Test_EIP.eip 0.CR2 | exiftool -previewimage -b - > preview.jpg

(it may even work in Windows if "unzip" is available and supports -p)

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

murphysm2342