downloaded but can get run properly

Started by samharris, October 15, 2018, 11:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samharris

I downloaded full versionon windows 8. Unzipped it .Can get stand alone to pop up but cant get it to work.Also cant get it to be on desktop. Isnt there a way to download and put on desktop a shortcut and it opens and all you have to do is drag o rpaste a pic image into it???? Probably doing something wrong.....help please

Phil Harvey

All you need to do is unzip it then drag "exiftool(-k).exe" to your desktop.  You should be able to then drag and drop an image onto "exiftool(-k).exe".  If this doesn't work, delete the temporary files and try again (see section ii of the Windows uninstalling instructions here).

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

samharris

Hi... Thanks. I did that but when I drag and drop an image it drops the image but then when i push enter it just gives me more of the help info and then the "more" with the cursor????? Thanks

Phil Harvey

It sounds like you double clicked on "exiftool(-k).exe" instead of dropping a file on it.  This will show the documentation.

If you drop a file onto "exiftool(-k).exe" it should show the file's metadata then say "-- press any key --".

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

samharris

I have it on desktop and open it up<>drag image from my windows-pictures folder and drop it on the blinking cursor. when i drop it it says line= then the image number. Press enter and just gives me the helpful info again?Nothing about it saying press any key...Do i have to rename something?

StarGeek

Quote from: samharris on October 16, 2018, 12:55:28 PM
I have it on desktop and open it up<>drag image from my windows-pictures folder and drop it on the blinking cursor.

No, just drag images onto the icon. That will then open up the the window and show you the data regarding the images you dropped on it.

See here for example.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

samharris

Ok...hanks it works but doesnt show me GPS of picture location? Any help on that? Thanks

StarGeek

Depending upon how much data is in the file, you should be able to scroll the window back up.  If you don't see any line that starts with GPS then there may not be any GPS data in it.

If you want, you can rename the exiftool file to exiftool(-k -gpslatitude -gpslongitude) and it will only show you the GPS Latitude and Longitude, if it exists.  If it doesn't, then there isn't any gps data in the file.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

samharris

Thanks but I guess these pics have no GPS embedded.Any other way to ID the pic location.? What is the media black and whit points?

Phil Harvey

The MediaBlack/WhitePoints are the levels of black and white colors for the media.

Aside from GPS, camera images sometimes contain City or other location tags like this, and if set the camera time zone may be used to narrow down the location a bit.

- Phil

samharris

Ok thanks.What is "original transmission reference"? What do all the numbers and letters mean?

Phil Harvey

No idea.  The IPTC documentation says:

A code representing the location of original transmission according to practices of the provider.
        Examples:
                BER-5
                PAR-12-11-01

- Phil

samharris

I found out that it is a reference point where the image came from...and that it has its exif shredded off when uploaded to website ....such as facebook.Basically the metadata of importance.So unfortunately when you find a nice pic online from a pro photographer that you wanna know location of pic...they block it also...Gotta be a way to debug or  the full embedded info

StarGeek

Yes, many websites will strip metadata due to privacy issues.  Once it's stripped, it's gone.