Warning: Value above int32u maximum for...

Started by Etupes25, November 03, 2018, 11:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Etupes25

Hello,

I am trying to change the QuickTime:CreateDate on an MP4 file with the following command

exiftool -Quicktime:CreateDate="1955:01:01 00:00:00" "1955 Mamie.mp4"

I receive the following warning and nothing gets changed

Warning: Value above int32u maximum for QuickTime:CreateDate
Nothing to do.

What am I doing wrong?

Phil Harvey

Using date/time values outside the range 1970-2034 is problematic due to the limitations of the standard C library on some systems.  Note that I think CreateDate is meant for the creation date of the digital media, which should be inside this range.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Etupes25

Thank you for the quick turnaround. That makes sense.

These are videos converted from old 8mm film, and I am trying to have them show up right on the timeline in tools like Windows 10 Photos or similar. These tools look up the Quicktime CreateDate data information to organize the mp4's.

Any suggestion on how to work around this limitation?

Phil Harvey

If you are just worried about sort order, you could try setting all of the CreateDate of old videos to "1970:01:YY 0Y:0Y:00", where "YYYY" is the actual year of the original video.  Not a very satisfying solution though.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).