Main Menu

Open to page setting in PDF

Started by ebulerdo, January 04, 2019, 07:13:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebulerdo

Good morning All.

In PDF files you can set the page that will be displayed when the PDF is open. You can modify that setting with Acrobat at File > Properties > Initial View > Open to page.

I'm looking for the metadata that controls that setting. I work with hundreds of PDF files and I'm looking for a way to automate that process instead of manually changing the setting file by file.

Do you have an idea of where that setting is stored?

Thanks!

Phil Harvey

You can use ExifTool to compare the metadata before and after you write this with Acrobat.  If it doesn't show up in the regular metadata, try using the -v3 option.

- Phil

Edit:  I tried this myself and found this difference with the -v3 output:

| + [OpenAction directory with 2 entries]
  | | 0)  D = [ref(8 0 R),/XYZ,null,null,null]
  | |     - Tag 'D', direct array of 5 objects
  | | 1)  S = /GoTo
  | |     - Tag 'S', direct object

| + [OpenAction directory with 2 entries]
  | | 0)  D = [ref(11 0 R),/XYZ,null,null,null]
  | |     - Tag 'D', direct array of 5 objects
  | | 1)  S = /GoTo
  | |     - Tag 'S', direct object

So the OpenAction "D" property is an array, with the first element being a reference to the "Open to page" page object.

And from the PDFReference documentation, the array is of the form:

[page,/XYZ,left,top,zoom]

Display the page designated by page, with the coordinates (left, top) positioned at the upper-left corner of the window and the contents of the page magnified by the factor zoom. A null value for any of the parameters left, top, or zoom specifies that the current value of that parameter is to be retained unchanged. A zoom value of 0 has the same meaning as a null value.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

ebulerdo

Thank you very much!

I had been comparing the files, but there were no differences other than time. Thanks for the suggestion to use -v3.

Have a nice day!