Main Menu

XPComment exif tag

Started by djinn1962, February 14, 2019, 04:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djinn1962

Hello,

I am very new with using exif tag. Been reading a lot but i am lost.

I would like to include the XPComment tag into the file name. I have been using exiftoolgui, and i can see the xpcomment tag correctly ("picture taken by me"). When I try to export it to an excel file with exif pilot program, under this tag there is a long string of numbers.
'_Exif_Image_XPComment = '112 0 105 0 99 0 116 0 117 0 114 0 101 0 32 0 116 0 97 0 107 0 101 0 110 0 32 0 98 0 121 0 32 0 109 0 101 0 0 0

How can i extract this as a set of character saying ""picture taken by me"? i understand that this is a UCS2 encoding.

But how can i insert this tag to the file name?

Thank you for your help>

I have thousands of pictures to sort....

Antoine

StarGeek

Quote from: djinn1962 on February 14, 2019, 04:37:37 PM
I would like to include the XPComment tag into the file name.

The question is how do you want to format your filename?  It seems unlikely that you want to completely replace it, as if you had files with the same XPComment, then you would have duplicate filenames.

As an example, to append XPComment to the end of the filename, you would use
exiftool "-Filename<%f $XPComment.%e" FileOrDir

I'd advise replacing Filename in the above command with Testname to test it out to see if it is what you want, first.  Replace FileOrDir with the files and/or directories to process.

QuoteWhen I try to export it to an excel file

If you want to export the XPComment to a csv file to use in Excel, try
exiftool -XPComment -CSV >Out.csv FileOrDir
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).