exiftool disappears

Started by cliff, March 02, 2019, 09:18:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cliff

I am a newbie. I have exiftool(-k) on the desktop (windows 7). When I drop a file onto the icon, exiftool opens OK and shows the file metadata. I can write a command but as soon as I press return, exiftool closes completely. There are no changes to the file.
Of course, maybe I have written the command incorrectly but because exiftool closes automatically, rather than giving me an error message, I have no idea. Help please. Thanks. Cliff

StarGeek

The window that appears when you drag and drop files on it is not a interface to type exiftool commands.  It is simply a display window to display info.

To actually use exiftool commands, you need to open a CMD window.  Make sure you read the Windows install instructions so as to make the command available to you at any time.

You probably should also read the Getting started: Command-line ExifTool in Windows thread to get some info on how to use it on in the CMD shell.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

cliff

Thanks StarGeek. That's great! I hadn't realised that using exiftool from the desktop was only a display. I've now managed to get in and add new data to a file. Cliff :)