Showing EXIF data on a photo

Started by neil40, March 07, 2019, 06:36:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neil40

Hello all

I don't know if this is a relevant question here.

At our Photographic society, we have a monthly challenge theme, EG this month was 'Yellow'
At our monthly meet, members will have submitted a picture, and we display these as a pausing slideshow, so that we can critique them.
One suggestion has been to show the camera settings on/alongside the picture to help others.

Does anyone know of any software that can do this?
Example of what we'd like, would typically be the shutter speed, F number, ISO etc. to show either under or alongside the picture.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Alan Clifford

The way I put my copyright on my photos is to have a png with the text on it and then use ImageMagick's composite to overlay it onto the photo.

But wouldn't putting all that text on the photo detract from the photo?

An alternative would be to create a white png with the text on it and use ImageMagick's montage to put it at the side of the original photo.  You'd have to create the png on the fly for each photo using exiftool to extract the information but that shouldn't be an impossible task to script.

StarGeek

Quote from: Alan Clifford on March 07, 2019, 08:01:56 AM
An alternative would be to create a white png with the text on it and use ImageMagick's montage to put it at the side of the original photo.  You'd have to create the png on the fly for each photo using exiftool to extract the information but that shouldn't be an impossible task to script.

Not quite what you are saying but here's a script from the imagemagick forum that overlays some metadata onto the images.  Example image linked from their forums

neil40, you don't mention how you're showing the slide show, but assuming a digital projector and some program, you might check the options on that program.  For example, irfanview, while in slideshow mode, can display the exif data. 

The imagemagick option requires some prep.  The irfanview option is done on the fly.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

neil40

Thanks StarGeek

I use a laptop with a projector, and currently create a Slideshow EXE with Irfanview.
I will check that more closely to see how to do that.

StarGeek

Under the slideshow options, add $Ex

Edit: TIL that irfanview can create a stand alone slide show.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

neil40

Just the job

Via the help file I found the $Exxxxx numbers for specific settings so I can show ISO F# Exposure etc.

Thanks for the hint

daap

If you are using Windows, I wrote a tool around Phil Harvey's ExifTool that allows you to edit EXIF tags (such as comments) and run slide shows with values from the tags displayed along with the picture. It can also show pictures from content sites such as Pexels and you can even play games with your pictures or the ones from content sites.

You can find it on https://exiftool.org/ under Related Tools and with the name PictureTools, or directly here: https://onedrive.live.com/?id=6266D5E1E0FBB1B8%2193728&cid=6266D5E1E0FBB1B8.