News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

alternate ExifTool Windows installer stats

Started by obetz, January 22, 2021, 11:13:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

obetz

Hi Phil,

since you link to the "alternate ExifTool Windows installer" on exiftool.org, download numbers increased a lot here:

Over the last two months of 2020, ExifTool has been downloaded 6000 times from my website: 4400 exe installers and 1600 zip packages. In early 2020, it was only 1500 downloads per month.

Users now prefer the 64 bit build (introduced last summer) over the 32 bit build: 6:1 for the zip package and 3:1 for the exe installer. I don't think it's much "better" than the 32 bit version, though.

The exe installer mostly gets false positives from 2 (of 76) engines at VirusTotal. McAfee-GW-Edition ignored my complaints, I gave up months ago. "Sangfor Engine Zero" is a new candidate, I tend to ignore them. The false positives come from Inno Setup, a known problem. The ZIP files don't get positives at VT.

Besides a few complaints about these false positives, I didn't get error reports from users last year.

Phil Harvey

Hi Oliver,

This is very good.  I should really switch over to build the "official" .exe using your method, but unfortunately my Windows virtual machine is so slow as to be unusable, which severely hampers my Windows development capabilities. (It's running on a Mac Mini that doesn't have enough RAM for this, and can't be upgraded with more.)

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

obetz

no problem. Since I get the notification from Sourceforge (Github notifications still don't work), I often provide the new version within hours unless my workload is high.

Phil Harvey

I appreciate that.  Thanks for doing this.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).