LargeFileSupport not enabled

Started by TechnoPhil, February 09, 2012, 11:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Harvey

Hi Harald,

ExifTool has only limited write ability for MP4 videos.  See the QuickTime tags documentation for details.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Harald

Hi Phil,
thanks for the quick reply.
Unfortunate for us that Exiftool is not able to change tags outside the QuickTime specification. I will have to try using TagScanner with an Excel file.
Maybe worthwhile altering the error message from "tag xxxx does not exist" to "not supported" or similar.

In any case, thanks for your help. Exiftool will still be very helpful for our images.

kind regards,
Harald

Phil Harvey

Hi Harald,

Quote from: Harald on October 17, 2016, 10:11:58 AM
Maybe worthwhile altering the error message from "tag xxxx does not exist" to "not supported" or similar.

I see your point.  It does not exist in ExifTool's database, but it is confusing if you were thinking it meant in your file.

I'll have to think about this though.  Changing the wording of messages isn't something I take lightly because doing so may break some scripts that use ExifTool.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Harald

Hi Phil,
QuoteChanging the wording of messages isn't something I take lightly because doing so may break some scripts that use ExifTool.
I see. There is always implications that one does not see from outside.

A completely different question: I notice you support reading tags of Word files, but when I try to write to a .docx file it says
QuoteError: Writing of DOCX files is not yet supported
Do you plan to add this any time soon? We need to put the current file path on the local drive to the metadata before ingesting to the DAM and I wonder how to do that.
Thanks a lot in advance for your help.
kind regards,
Harald

Phil Harvey

First, I've considered your "TAG not supported" suggestion and will implement this in the next release.

Second, support for DOCX is not going to happen soon.  ExifTool would have to support writing ZIP files as well as arbitrary XML to be able to do this.

- Phil

Harald

Hi Phil,

thanks a lot for the quick response. Too bad, but to be expected.
And I guess, you are not aware of any tool that would be suitable to write metadata to .doc files in batch, e. g. from a CSV file?
kind regards,
Harald

Phil Harvey

Hi Harald,

Sorry, I don't know of any such tools.

- Phil

Harald

Hi Phil,
I just realised that there might have been a misunderstanding regarding the MP4 files. You wrote
QuoteExifTool has only limited write ability for MP4 videos.  See the QuickTime tags documentation for details.
Yet I found that I can successfully write Country and City to a video with Exiftool, both not being QuickTime tags, right? At least I could not find "City" in the link you provided.
Actually it even created new entries for Country. I had added a COUNTRY-tag with Mp3tag, but when I reset the tag with Exiftool it showed up with small letters and listing them with "Exiftool -country" would result in

So it had left the one from MP3tag alone and written to its own specification.
All our videos in question are H264 .mp4 videos, usually encoded with handbrake or Adobe Premiere Media Encoder. As far as I understand, these are not QuickTime videos, correct?

Yet when I look at the embedded metadata of an asset that I had ingested into Assetbank - which uses Exiftool at the backend - all tags show up as QuickTime:...., even City, Country and Youtube link, where at least the last one is obviously not an official tag.

I assume either
a) these are actually XMP tags that are listed incorrectly in Assetbank or
b) it is possible to write extra QuickTime tags but you chose not to implement this in Exiftool.

Please let me know whether I am wrong and if it is indeed possible to extend XMP-tags and write to them, how I could achieve this.
Sorry for bothering you that much.

best regards,
Harald

Phil Harvey

Hi Harald,

ExifTool can write XMP to MP4 files.  The Country tag you wrote must be XMP.

I can't speak for Assetbank, but you should see this in XMP if you read it back again using ExifTool with the -G option.

- Phil

Harald

Hi Phil,

thanks, the -G option helped me a lot and clarified the whereabouts for many tags. Thanks for all your help.

kind regards,
Harald

gheppell

Pardon my technological ignorance, but i am trying to get around the largefillesupport enabled issue, but am confused.  I note that you point to a config file as a workaround.  However, I do not know how or where to enable such a file.  Is this a text file?  Where do I put the file within my directories (Win 10)?  Should I be typing something at a command line?  If possible, I need step by step instructions as to how to get around the largefile issue.

thank you

StarGeek

Here is the example.config file.  Download it and save it in the same directory as exiftool.  It needs to be renamed to .ExifTool_config (dot at the front). If you're using windows, that can't be done on the desktop.  It either has to be done when save the file or through CMD.

One that is done, open it up in a text editor (not a word processor).  Go to the bottom of the file and locate this line
%Image::ExifTool::UserDefined::Options
You'll see several options set there.  After the RequestAll and before the );, add this new line
LargeFileSupport => 1,
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

sarcha

Hey Phil.

I am facing the same problem. I have exiftool version 12.3.3.0
I am trying to extract metadata of 4GB MP4 file.

I am trying the following command

exiftool -api -largefilesupport=1 -ee -G3 -s C0011.MP4 > metadata011.csv

but the file extracted is missing large amount of metadatmetadata011.csv a.

Additionally it is giving the following warning: Warning: End of processing at large atom (LargeFileSupport not enabled)

I have also installed the .ExifTool_config file in the home directory as referred by you.

I have also attached the output file that is generated for reference
Can you please suggest what can be done here?

Regards,
Sarang Chahakar

Phil Harvey

It should be -api largefilesupport=1

(no dash before largefilesupport)

- Phil