To identify the tag name for use & Search using Metadata as filter criteria

Started by PL2020, April 25, 2020, 07:13:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PL2020

Hi

I am a Mac use, have been using Adobe Bridge and is now learning to use Exiftool on Terminal

I have two problems that I cannot find solution for after hours of searching

1) I attempt to use the page (https://exiftool.org/TagNames/index.html) to identify tags that describe the information I want to store; however, I simply can't do so there is no one full list of tag names stored in one place
The workaround I currently adopt was to write to a field using Bridge and then use the exiftool -s option to read to identify
However, this workaround has a drawback which is I can only identify fields displayed by Adobe Bridge
What is the best practice to search for a suitable tag names for use?

2) Does Exiftool provide a search function using metadata as criteria? If not, what options do I have? Is Spotlight a good solution?

FYI
Spotlight metadata attributes:
https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/CoreServices/Reference/MetadataAttributesRef/Reference/CommonAttrs.html

Spotlight importer
https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/Carbon/Conceptual/MDImporters/MDImporters.html

Phil Harvey

Quote from: PL2020 on April 25, 2020, 07:13:17 AM
The workaround I currently adopt was to write to a field using Bridge and then use the exiftool -s option to read to identify
However, this workaround has a drawback which is I can only identify fields displayed by Adobe Bridge
What is the best practice to search for a suitable tag names for use?

This is what I would have suggested.  An alternative is to settle on XMP or EXIF and read the specifications to see what standard tags are best suited for your use.  But in the end, the best tags for you are the ones that your software will recognize.

Quote2) Does Exiftool provide a search function using metadata as criteria? If not, what options do I have? Is Spotlight a good solution?

The ExifTool -if option lets you test files for any arbitrary search criteria, but it processes each file so it will be much slower than something like Spotlight that uses a centralized database.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

PL2020

Quotethe best tags for you are the ones that your software will recognize

I agree totally; I think metadata can achieve their full potential only when they can be used as search criteria

I struggle here because Spotlight does not automatically recognise many of the IPTC Ext metadata fields/keys

Do you suggest me to stick with Spotlight and write Spotlight Importer myself?

StarGeek

Quote from: PL2020 on April 25, 2020, 07:13:17 AM
1) I attempt to use the page (https://exiftool.org/TagNames/index.html) to identify tags that describe the information I want to store; however, I simply can't do so there is no one full list of tag names stored in one place

As there are 10s of thousands of tags that exiftool can read, such a list would be unwieldy.  Especially since a many of those are obscure (Ducky tags) and almost all are limited in scope, i.e. PDF tags don't apply to Images, MacOS don't apply to anything not on a Mac.

Two good places to start are the MWG tags which give you some basic tag names and tell you what tags actually get written for those tags.  For example, MWG:Description will write to EXIF:ImageDescription, IPTC:Caption-Abstract, and XMP-dc:Description.  You can just use the MWG tags for simplicity or use it as a reference to pick and choose.

Also, in this post I documented a list of names that an older version of Lightroom (ver 4.4) listed and what tags they wrote.  While I don't have access to new versions of LR, I don't believe the names have changed much from what I've seen in Adobe Bridge.

You can always ask on this forum as well.  I'm always up for a discussion on figuring out the best place to store various types of metadata.

QuoteThe workaround I currently adopt was to write to a field using Bridge and then use the exiftool -s option to read to identify

Adobe Bridge, as well as other Adobe programs, are pretty much comprehensive when it comes to displaying metadata.  Anything it doesn't display probably falls into the really obscure category and it's unlikely that any other program is going to display such tags.

Quote2) Does Exiftool provide a search function using metadata as criteria? If not, what options do I have? Is Spotlight a good solution?

I don't use a Mac, so I can't comment much on the program, but from looking at that first link, it appears that those are all the Mac OS tags.  They're part of the filesystem and as such, will disappear if you move the file off the Mac, such as to a cloud location or to a Windows/Linux PC.

You might look into a program such as Darktable.  Darktable tries to be a FOSS version of Lightroom.  It has various editing features similar to LR, but it also acts as a DAM (Digital Asset Management) program.  I haven't used it but I believe it should be able to allow you to search the metadata for any files loaded into its library.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

PL2020

Quote from: StarGeek on April 25, 2020, 11:56:09 AM

Adobe Bridge, as well as other Adobe programs, are pretty much comprehensive when it comes to displaying metadata.

I'm interested in using IPTC extension metadata

I found a list of metadata editors supporting IPTV metadata

https://iptc.org/standards/photo-metadata/software-support/

Do you have experience with any of them?

StarGeek

I will point out that that list is over 2 years old. Also, most of those are DAMs which will require importing the images ahead of time.

I've mentioned Digikam previously.  I don't use it except for testing things out but it seems pretty good.  IMatch is pricey, but extremely good, especially when it comes to metadata.  It uses exiftool on the backend to read and write metadata, so anything exiftool can do, IMatch can do.  ACDSee is usually well rated but they have a tendency to create their own tags instead of using the many pre-defined standards that already exist.  See the second paragraph under ACDSee tags.  Dominion is almost certainly not what you're looking for as it's a server based management system for large collections for businesses.  Think GettyImages (though Getty almost certainly has their own system).  Adobe Lightroom is one of the most commonly used programs for photographers, but it's more expensive in the long run due to its subscription based pricing.  It's pretty much comprehensive, though.

I'm struggling to understand what you have against importing files, especially since you seemed interested in Alan's option of using a CSV spreadsheet.  To me, that's the worst option since you would have to recreate the spreadsheet every time you added new files, i.e. re-import everything.

Also, if you said exactly what IPTC tags you were interested in using, it might help to narrow down what programs would work for you.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

PL2020

Quote from: StarGeek on May 01, 2020, 12:30:52 PM
Also, if you said exactly what IPTC tags you were interested in using, it might help to narrow down what programs would work for you.

The tag I'm interested in is:
Name of Organisation Featured in the Image

It is not supported in Adobe Bridge btw

StarGeek

That's a pretty rare tag.  I don't recall actually seeing that tag in use in all the images I've collected from the web.  For a Mac, beyond Adobe Bridge or Lightroom, you'll probably have to search for a program that can read it yourself.

I did just test Digikam and it does read it as well, so that would be a Mac option as well.

And Bridge does read OrganisationInImageName and allows you to set it.  At least it does on Windows.

Edit menu -> Preferences -> Metadata

obetz

just my 2ct:

[...]ACDSee is usually well rated but[...]
When I tested ACDSee, it didn't import/export XMP (or I was too stupid) and geotagging was very weak.

IMatch has the best geotagging in my opinion.

Adobe Lightroom is one of the most commonly used programs for photographers, but it's more expensive in the long run

As far as I know, the DAM part of Lightroom part works also without an active subscription, IOW is "free".

StarGeek

Quote from: obetz on May 03, 2020, 03:13:53 PM
IMatch has the best geotagging in my opinion.

Unfortunately, IMatch is Windows only, not Mac.  I did mention it above before I realized PL2020 was on Mac.

QuoteAs far as I know, the DAM part of Lightroom part works also without an active subscription, IOW is "free".

Now that is interesting.  I'll have to check it out.

PL2020