Is Namespace different than Groupname?

Started by Luuk2005, April 17, 2021, 05:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luuk2005

It seems like 'namespace' can be different than groupnames?  Or is 'namespace' the Family-0 groupname ????
Windows8.1-64bit, exiftool-v12.11(standalone), sed-v4.0.7

Phil Harvey

If you are talking about the XMP namespace prefix, then generally this is part of the family 1 group name (with a leading "XMP-" added), but some long prefixes are shortened.  This is all detailed in the XMP Tag Name documentation (see the 6th paragraph).

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Luuk2005

Thanks, its really a general question about the definition for 'namespace', because reading it in the forums.
Then Im often wondering why nobody ever just says Group0, making me think 'namespace' must be something else.
So Im still wondering if Family0 GroupName is a sub-category of namespace, or if they are just synonyms?

Phil Harvey

Namespace has no strict meaning in association with any ExifTool feature.  It only has meaning with respect to XMP tags, and the family 1 ExifTool groups come closest to representing XMP namespace.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Luuk2005

Many thanks for reply, it seems they were talking about some xmp family1 group names. I was hoping for family0 group names to be a sub-category to something,
because sometimes when searching for tags by piping -listx though sed, it was presenting two identical lines with the same Group0:Group1:Group2:TagName.
So it was making me think that either Group3 or lowers must be different, or they were from another 'namespace'.
Thanks again.