Nikon D800 NEFs ==> SubIFD Tags corrupted ==> Rewrite possible?

Started by spark, June 29, 2012, 11:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Harvey

I can add support for the D7100 if you send me a full set of original and corrupted images:

12 bit uncompressed
12 bit compressed
12 bit lossless compressed
14 bit uncompressed
14 bit compressed
14 bit lossless compressed

(note: the full set is 12 images:  these 6 images copied directly from the memory card, plus the same 6 as corrupted by the Nikon software)

my email is philharvey66 at gmail.com

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

TofuCivic

Sent.  I had issues finding an email account so I sent links to my google drive instead.  Let me know if you have issues downloading them.  To show my appreciation for your time and help, a donation is on it's way.

How

Phil Harvey

Hi How,

I got the samples, thanks.  The fix_corrupted_nef utility has now been updated to support the D7100.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

TofuCivic

Thanks, Phil.  I gave it a try tonight and it works flawlessly. :)

Cheers,
How 

moomah

is this program for correcting corrupted .NEF's compatible with the d90?

Phil Harvey

Note that this utility only fixes NEF images corrupted by Nikon software.  I haven't yet seen a D90 image that has been corrupted like this.  This is an older camera that I would have thought wouldn't be affected by this bug.

So the answer is no, but I can add support for any Nikon camera if I have a set of corrupted and uncorrupted samples.

- Phil

moomah

how do I upload the corrupted/uncorrupted photos ?

my photos were corrupted using the nikon transfer software.

Phil Harvey

See this post in this thread for details on how to send me samples.

What software and what version were you using?

- Phil

moomah

it was Nikon ViewNX 1.5.2.

I think i only require the 12 bit images the D90 isnt capable of 14 bit.
how do i get 3 versions of the same file?

Phil Harvey

Just shoot as many RAW formats as supported by the D90, then copy the original images directly from the memory card and also use ViewNX 1.5.2 to download the images, then send them all to me.

- Phil

Edit:  There may be something else going on here, but I'll let you know.  I did some checking and the D90 seems to have been released in 2008, but ViewNX 1.5.2 was released 2010, so there should be no problem with this (newer software should work fine with older cameras).  If there were, then there would have been a massive outcry at the time.

BenB

Hi Phil, sorry I am maybe a novice but I didn't find the way to make work your tool. I have A D600 with pb of corrupted files + a MBPro 10.8.4. Here is what I have :

Last login: Mon Aug 12 22:51:46 on ttys000
MacBook-Pro-de-Ben:~ ben$
MacBook-Pro-de-Ben:~ ben$ /Users/ben/Desktop/fix_corrupted_nef/fix_corrupted_nef.pl
---- fix_corrupted_nef version 1.9 ----
Fixes Nikon D4/D600/D800/D800E/D3200/D5200/D7100 NEF images that
have been corrupted by transferring with older Nikon software.

Syntax:  fix_corrupted_nef FILE [FILE...]

MacBook-Pro-de-Ben:~ ben$ exiftool fix_corrupted_nef
-bash: exiftool: command not found
MacBook-Pro-de-Ben:~ ben$ fix_corrupted_nef
-bash: fix_corrupted_nef: command not found
MacBook-Pro-de-Ben:~ ben$ /Users/ben/Desktop/NEF04/DSC_0001.NEF
-bash: /Users/ben/Desktop/NEF04/DSC_0001.NEF: Permission denied
MacBook-Pro-de-Ben:~ ben$ fix_corrupted_nef /Users/ben/Desktop/NEF04/DSC_0001.NEF
-bash: fix_corrupted_nef: command not found
MacBook-Pro-de-Ben:~ ben$

Can you help me ?
Thanks
Ben

Phil Harvey

Hi Ben,

Just download and expand the fix_corrupted_nef for Mac and follow the instructions in the included README.txt

- Phil

BenB

Hi Phil,
It is what I've done -> cf. my first post -> fix_corrupted_nef is launched but why I put the NEF file, it doesn't process it.
Sure I am doing something wrong but what ?
Thanks for helping
Ben

Phil Harvey

Hi Ben,

If you follow the directions, before you press RETURN your command line should look something like this to fix a single NEF:

MacBook-Pro-de-Ben:~ ben$ /Users/ben/Desktop/fix_corrupted_nef/fix_corrupted_nef.pl /Users/ben/Desktop/NEF04/DSC_0001.NEF

or like this to fix all NEF's in a folder:

MacBook-Pro-de-Ben:~ ben$ /Users/ben/Desktop/fix_corrupted_nef/fix_corrupted_nef.pl /Users/ben/Desktop/NEF04

- Phil

BenB

OK, Thanks, it's working perfectly !
It's sincerely nice to get back some lost nef files...It was disappointing to be reduce to jpeg basic with a D600.
Thank you
Benjamin