"File format error" casued by .JPG_original files when Geotagging

Started by lifeofdave, January 10, 2013, 11:47:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lifeofdave

I'm finding that when using -geotag with a whole directory of images exiftool tries to geotag the .JPG_original files that it has just created, resulting in an "Error: File format error - E:/..../._IMG_2481_4Q_5k.JPG" for every .original file.

It doesn't actually cause any issues, but when setting up exiftool for my colleagues who are less computer literate the errors can cause some confusion. Is there an easy way to suppress this error or another way round that I'm missing?

Once again, thanks for any help.

Phil Harvey

This is likely a problem with specifying "*.*" on the command line.  Use ". -ext jpg" instead.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

lifeofdave

Great, that's helped. Even just using C:\folder\*.* instead of C:\folder filters out the .original files.

Phil Harvey

Now I'm confused.

If you specify the file on the command line, then exiftool will process it.  It doesn't matter if the name ends with "_original", exiftool will process it anyway.

Specifying C:\folder\*.* will process all files in the directory that have a "." in the file name, including "_original" files.

Specifying C:\folder won't process "_original" files.

Specifying C:\folder -ext jpg will limit the processing to only .jpg (and .JPG) files in the directory.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).