Main Menu

Address data tags?

Started by TheSnowMan, December 27, 2014, 07:57:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSnowMan

Hi

Sorry for posting a possibly naive newbee question:

Are there any (standard) tags that could be used to record the (camera) location for an jpeg image?

I record GPS data for most images. Using for example https://pypi.python.org/pypi/geocoder would allow reverse geocoding to look up address info from coordinates. I'm looking for a way to write back the address data to images, preferably in a structured manner. 

Best Regards & Happy Holidays
Peter

StarGeek

Looking over the xmp and iptc in the docs, there doesn't seem to be anything.  There are a few address tags for the creator and licensor in xmp.

I would say just add the info the the Caption-Abstract and/or Description tags without overwriting anything you might already have in those tags.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

TheSnowMan

Thanks!

Strange that this was not included in the standards! :-)

My plan is to use exiftool to read out the image names and GPS coordinates for all images in a folder into a file, then use a reverse geocoder to look up address - or at least placename info and add that to each record in the file and then again use exiftool to add placename/address to Caption/abstract or Description tags. I might also use the placename as part of the file or folder names

Can anyone here figure out a better way? It must have been done before?

Best Regards
Peter

Phil Harvey

I think you could use the XMP-iptcExt:LocationCreated tag for this purpose.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

mrbrahman

Hi

It's now been 8 years since the last answer. Is XMP-iptcExt:LocationCreated still the best place to fit the reverse geocoded address? Also is there some format expected? Or is this free form?

Sorry for replying to the old thread, didn't want to open a new one for the exact same question

Thanks!

Phil Harvey

This is probably still the best place.  LocationCreated is a structure with a number of elements.  See the ExifTool XMP iptcExt tags documentation for more information.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

mrbrahman