GPS2MapUrl user defined tags

Started by StarGeek, February 05, 2019, 05:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StarGeek

In creating this config file, attached below, I'm playing around with Github and markdown, so there may be some growing pains.  When I make it public, the github repository will be here

If there are any other publicly available map sites that should be included, or if the format for the link ceases to work (quite likely), let me know and I'll see what I can do about fixing it.

This is mostly intended for use with images, as I don't have any videos with gps coordinates to test against.  If there's interest and a sample can be made available, I can look into updating it to work with video.

GPS2MapUrl.config
GPS2MapUrl.config is a user-defined config file for exiftool.  It creates composite tag definitions to create URLs for various map websites based upon GPS coordinates embedded in the file.

Install
Place this file in the same directory as exiftool.exe and start the command with -config GPS2MapUrl.config (requires exiftool v 10.70 or greater) or include the full path (relative or absolute) if saved elsewhere.  Optionally, tags can be copied from this file (marked by the dash lines) and placed in the .exifTool_config file under the 'Image::ExifTool::Composite' => { line to have these tags available at all times.

Tag definitions
GoogleMapsUrl
This will create a link to Google maps based upon this StackOverflow answer
https://stackoverflow.com/a/32807681/3525475
Example:
exiftool -config GPS2MapUrl.config -GoogleMapsUrl FILE

BingMapsUrl
This will create a link to Bing maps based upon this page
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/bingmaps/articles/create-a-custom-map-url
Example:
exiftool -config GPS2MapUrl.config -BingMapsUrl FILE

OpenStreetMapsUrl
This will create a link to OpenStreetMap.org maps
Example:
exiftool -config GPS2MapUrl.config -OpenStreetMapsUrl FILE

MapquestMapsUrl
This will create a link to Mapquest maps
Example:
exiftool -config GPS2MapUrl.config -MapquestMapsUrl FILE

YandexMapsUrl
This will create a link to Yandex maps
Example:
exiftool -config GPS2MapUrl.config -YandexMapsUrl FILE

User Parameters
Zoom
This user parameter will add the level of zoom for the URL using the exiftool -userparam option.  There is no check to verify that the parameter passed is a viable value for the zoom.  The zoom value for most of these websites seems to be a number from 1 to 16-20, depending upon the site.
Example:
exiftool -config GPS2MapUrl.config -userparam Zoom=16 -BingMapsUrl FILE

Notes

• Bing Maps doesn't allow for the creation of push pins without an API key.  This tag will use the collection sp=point option using a dot as the label.
  • Requires exiftool version to be before 11.54 or later than 11.57
Revisions
  • Ver. 1.0 - 2019-02-04 - Bryan K. Williams (aka StarGeek) Created
  • Ver. 1.1 - 2019-07-25 - Changed undef to empty string, fixed examples

* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

MrVideo