Fujifilm 0x102e field (C-AF settings)

Started by Richard_Butler, October 22, 2018, 06:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greybeard

Richard - that is a good point about the AF Custom presets - I'm sure a lot of users would be interested in knowing which preset was selected  - and it's particularly interesting in cameras that do not allow the individual values to be selected (such as XT-20).

It does have to be inferred though as you can't tell the difference between one of the preset options 1-5 and option 6 where the user has just selected the same values as a preset.

Phil Harvey

I would rather not try to infer an AF-C preset number for a few reasons:

1. It is ambiguous for models which have a custom preset as you mentioned.

2. These presets may be likely to be model-dependent, and if so, keeping this up to date with the new models would be a problem.

3. The way to implement this would be a Composite tag based on the values of the three other AF-C tags, and I don't know if this is really worth adding to the production version (a user-defined Composite tag could be created if anyone really wanted this feature).

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

greybeard

I am already planning composites for all the tags you are splitting apart :)

Understand your reasoning

Phil Harvey

Hmmm.  If you really want composites for these tags then maybe I shouldn't be splitting them apart in the first place...

Combining the AF-C settings into one tag would be difficult since the tag names provide useful information:
AF-CTrackingSensitivity
AF-CSpeedTrackingSensitivity
AF-CZoneAreaSwitching

but keeping the FocusPriority, FocusSettings and DriveSettings together as greybeard was doing is possible... it just makes coding of the inverse conversions (for writing these tags) more difficult.  What do you think?  Should I keep these together?

Oh yeah... but then the Tag Name documentation wouldn't be as useful since it wouldn't be able to show the lookups for each value.  That would be unfortunate.  I knew there was another reason why I split these apart.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

greybeard

I think you should stick to your instinct and separate them - if I want the composites I can add them

Phil Harvey

OK, thanks.

Last night I thought of a way to add AF-C custom set number without the need for a Composite tag, so that removes point number 3 in my list, and I'm willing to overlook point number 1.  Point number 2 may become a problem, and if it does I may remove this later, but I think I'll add this tag (as AF-CSetting) to the next release just for the fun of it.  It does have the added benefit of documenting these settings.

- Phil

Phil Harvey

OK.  I've just released ExifTool 11.15 with the new FujiFilm tags.  We've discussed most of these changes already, but I'm open to more discussion if there is anything you want done differently.

Here is a link to the documentation for the new tags.

- Phil

greybeard

Quote from: Phil Harvey on October 23, 2018, 10:05:43 AM
Thanks Greybeard.  A value of 1 is "Electronic", so how about if I call 2 "Electronic (long-exposure noise reduction unavailable)" or "Electronic (long-exposure NR selected but unavailable)"?

- Phil

A correction to this one.

It seems that value 2 means Electronic Shutter when Shutter Speed is longer than one second - which isn't long enough to trigger LENR.

The only thing I can think of is that one second is the longest shutter speed that can be selected directly using the shutter speed dial and longer speeds require the use of the "T" setting.

(It doesn't actually mean, however, that the "T" setting was used).

Phil Harvey

Could you suggest a name for this setting?

- Phil

greybeard

Maybe "Electronic Shutter (Long Shutter Speed)" ?

I will continue to think about all the changes - mostly looks good.

The use of AF-C for the prefix of the AF Custom Settings is confusing as AF-C implies continuous autofocus.

AFAreaPointSize this should just be a single digit e.g. 1 or 2 not 1 x 1 or 2 x 2 which only applies to zones

The FujiFilm.pm file in the full distribution is broken (there are a bunch of lines with just A or B starting at line 870 - deleting them seems to fix it).

I finally found the case you had where Single Point with the X-T3 did not have a point size - this seems to be where the camera is in manual focus mode - and even though you can change the focus point size for manual focus mode its not recorded in the EXIF.

greybeard

I'm planning to put some posts on the various Fuji oriented message boards encouraging users of Exiftool to test the changes.

Not sure how many Fuji Exiftool users there are as most prefer the GUI based tools but it does come up occasionally.

I assume that is OK with you?

Phil Harvey

Quote from: greybeard on October 25, 2018, 11:46:54 AM
Maybe "Electronic Shutter (Long Shutter Speed)" ?

Done.

QuoteThe use of AF-C for the prefix of the AF Custom Settings is confusing as AF-C implies continuous autofocus.

The owner's manual calls these "AF-C CUSTOM SETTINGS".

QuoteAFAreaPointSize this should just be a single digit e.g. 1 or 2 not 1 x 1 or 2 x 2 which only applies to zones

Fixed.

QuoteThe FujiFilm.pm file in the full distribution is broken (there are a bunch of lines with just A or B starting at line 870 - deleting them seems to fix it).

Try re-downloading the distribution.  I think that something must have happened at your end because I don't see this.  (in the full .tar.gz distribution -- which one are you using?)

QuoteI finally found the case you had where Single Point with the X-T3 did not have a point size - this seems to be where the camera is in manual focus mode - and even though you can change the focus point size for manual focus mode its not recorded in the EXIF.

Ah.  Makes sense.

- Phil

Phil Harvey

Quote from: greybeard on October 25, 2018, 11:50:09 AM
I'm planning to put some posts on the various Fuji oriented message boards encouraging users of Exiftool to test the changes.

I assume that is OK with you?

Sure

greybeard

QuoteTry re-downloading the distribution.  I think that something must have happened at your end because I don't see this.  (in the full .tar.gz distribution -- which one are you using?)

My mistake - I should have checked